Sunday, November 4, 2012

My Apprentice

When I was younger I swore to myself that I would never be interested in sewing. My mom, 4 of my aunts, grandmother, and great grandmother are/were very crafty people. (HA! See what I did there?) My mom made my wedding dress when I got married 9 years ago. And over the years I have had dozens of quilts and clothing items made for myself and my family. I used to tell my mom that I never needed to learn how to sew because she could. If I ever needed anything, I could pay her to do it.

Since then I had the "ON" switch flipped in my head. I have a sewing machine, a Serger, a body mannequin, 2 Styrofoam heads, and more fabric and patterns than I know what to do with at the moment. I have made costumes for friends and simple clothes for Monkey and Bug.

Currently I am working on a cosplay robe for myself. I am not normally one to dress up, but I want to sew more than I do and therefore I started looking up fun and simple costumes. I am working on a White Mage robe from the Final Fantasy Series. It is not any one specific robe from a specific game. It is my own take on the classic. It is a white robe and it will have normal red triangles, but it will be my own.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/White_Mage

Monkey likes to hang out with me while I am sewing. Most of the time it isnt a big deal. But sometimes I just need my own space. Because Monkey is (almost) 6, I do not let her sew yet by herself. My grandmother bought me a $2000 sewing machine with a bunch of bells and whistles and I am not okay with letting her touch it right now. Monkey is however allowed to touch the pins. Our compromise when she helps me sew is that she can set her hands (gently) on my hands to "help" me guide the fabric, and she can pull the pins out of the fabric and put them on the magnetic pin cushion that I have. She is also not allowed on my lap or near the machines at all when I am using the Serger. I am terrified that she is going to cut her own finger off, cause me to cut my finger off, or cause me to destroy whatever I am working on.

I have told Monkey that I am more than happy to help her learn how to sew, but I want to give it a couple more years. Until then she can keep helping me.


No comments:

Post a Comment