Sunday, February 3, 2013

Saving A Buck... Or More

This is another rare post that isn't about my kids.

Bear lost his job back in September. Since then, we have been trying to make ends meet on my small paychecks. We decided that the best thing to do would be for Bear to go back to school full time and get his degree. When he gets his degree, he will be able to get a job with better pay (hopefully) and things will get better.

OK, now that the history lesson is over... lets get back to the point. We need to save money. One of my friends at work does couponing. Bear and I decided even if it saves a couple of bucks at a time it is better than nothing.

We got a printer (for other reasons too) and started following a couple of websites and started printing coupons from online sources. We started buying the Sunday paper and clipping coupons. It has been an awesome experience so far. Both of us cut. I organize and document the coupon info into excel. Bear makes the lists and I do the shopping.

We have made 4 very successful trips. Fry's has been doing Mega Deal week this last 2 weeks. Buy ten items on their sale list and get $0.50 extra off each item. Between that sale, the customer rewards card, and the coupons we have paid only $32.74 for $187.37 worth of groceries. We have not bought anything we would not already buy. We have stocked up on salsa, Kleenex, caprisun, and boxed rice dinners.

I was nervous at first to hand over so many coupons and hold up the line. I thought for sure I was guilty of something. There was no way our plan could work. Now after having done it a few times, I am more confident. It is fun watching the numbers just drop off. Spending $5.51 on a normally $45 purchase, or spending $1.31 on a $12 purchase is just amazing. Seeing the disbelieving looks on the faces of the cashier and people in line behind you is fun too.

I always thought coupons were silly. I have to say that I am now a believer. It has changed the way I look at and approach grocery shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment